5 Common Questions About Sensitive Sensitive Skin
- What exactly is sensitive skin?
Many people sometimes may think they have sensitive skin because many skincare and/or household products often cause stinging, burning, redness, or tightness. Often times, people also believe they may have sensitive skin because although they do not see physical reactions to products, they are often times left feeling very uncomfortable after coming into contact with certain products. However, here is what professionals look for when diagnosing one with sensitive skin:
- Skin reactions and outbreaks with pustules, bumps, or erosion
- Extremely dry skin
- Skin easily becoming flush or blush
- How do I know if I have sensitive skin?
The best way to determine if you have sensitive skin is to pay a visit to a dermatologist. A dermatologist will easily be able to diagnose your skin condition if need be and/or identify what may causing irritation to your skin.
- What are the causes of sensitive skin reactions?
Causes of sensitive skin reactions include:
- Allergic skin reactions or skin diseases such as eczema and rosacea
- Extremely dry skin that is no longer in the condition to protect nerve endings
- Extreme exposure to skin-damaging environmental stressors such as the sun, wind and excessive heat or cold
- What are some tips for taking care of my sensitive skin, especially on my face?
Cleanse and moisturize.
Cleanse. While everyone with sensitive skin body responds differently to cleansing, there are few methods everyone should keep in mind. For instance, most dermatologists everywhere agree that fragranced soap typically contains strong detergents and should never be used on the face or any part of your body for that matter. Fragrance-free cleansers such as mild and sensitive skin cleansing bars and as well as most liquid face soaps are less likely to cause irritation to the skin.
Moisturize. Moisturizing the skin is a pretty straight forward approach. Using moisturizing products help the skin hold onto it’s own moisture, allowing your skin to resist drying.
- What should I look for in skin care products in order to avoid them irritating my sensitive skin?
To avoid using skin care products that will irritate or cause damage to your sensitive skin use products that contain:
- Few ingredients
- Little or no fragrances
- Natural ingredients
Additionally, you’ll want to avoid products containing:
- Antibacterial or fragranced ingredients
- Artificial ingredients