When it comes to skin problems, few things are more frustrating—and embarrassing—than acne breakouts. For some, the extent of their acne breakout may be one large cyst-like pimple, while for others it may be a large area of small red bumps or whiteheads. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne is a skin condition that affects up to 50 million Americans, so you’re not alone!
When a breakout happens, it’s important to understand what may have caused it so you can treat it effectively and prevent it from happening again. Some common causes of face acne include:
- Hormones: Sometimes the cause of acne isn’t on the surface. When hormones fluctuate or are imbalanced it can cause acne breakouts, most commonly painful cystic acne.
- Stress: Stress induces the hormone cortisol, which can also contribute to acne breakouts because it ramps up oil production in the skin.
- Cleansing habits: While it makes sense that not using a cleanser frequently enough may cause breakouts, washing your face too much can actually lead to breakouts, too. Overwashing can strip the skin of necessary oil, which causes oil glands to overcompensate with oil production.
- Air Pollution: The particles in the air that your face comes in contact with throughout the day can lead to acne breakouts, too. It’s a good idea to wipe your face gently after being outdoors, especially if you live in a city or an area with bad air quality.
- Beauty Products: If you’re not using the right kind of products for your skin type, they may be contributing to your breakouts. Those who have oily skin should look for water-based products instead of oil-based products to prevent clogged pores and breakouts.
Even though acne breakouts aren’t fun to deal with, with the right products, they don’t have to be permanent. Look for products with these ingredients to treat acne quickly:
Salicylic Acid: This ingredient helps unclog pores by gently exfoliating. It’s gentle, so you can use it on your whole face when included in a skin cleanser, but is also effective in spot treatment products, too.
Benzoyl Peroxide: A stronger ingredient, benzoyl peroxide kills acne bacteria and dries out the skin from excess oil. Since it’s powerful, it’s typically only found in spot treatment products.
Retinol: One of the most effective ingredients for almost any skin condition, Retinol helps increase the cellular turnover in skin, which means it helps treat and prevent acne breakouts. We recommend Geneva naturals Advanced Anti-Aging Retinol Cream.
Vitamin C Serum: While you’re managing your breakouts, it’s important to take action to prevent scars left behind by that acne. Vitamin C serum is great for treating acne scars because of its powerful antioxidant and collagen production properties. We recommend Geneva naturals Vitamin C+E Serum.